Monday, May 16, 2011

Meet Aretha!

{blogger lost this entry originally posted on Thursday May 12, 2011. Here's my effort to give you the gist of that entry}


Aretha is my high maintenance diva of a house plant. Actually she's my new officemate. An unlikely pairing to be honest. I manage to kill the easiest-to-keep plants. This is a persnickety orchid. Get a good look now while she's still happy and beautiful. If this little project doesn't work out she'll be replaced by a lovely silk variety.

I sort of got swindled into this venture by a well-meaning, green-thumbed coworker. He said he'd figured out how to grow orchids, it would be simple and he'd help us the whole way.

I happily gifted Aretha a new pot and plant stand. Then I learned about all her demands needs. She needs more light than the sun (from a north-facing window) can provide (greedy plant) thus I need to provide her a lamp (with one of those cool, energy efficient bulbs) and a timer so she doesn't get sunburn too much light.

Proper watering requires a draining technique where she sits on a mesh net thingy atop of a bucket. Excess water drains into said bucket which is carried down stairs, out the building and dumped outside by the hired help me.

And if that wasn't enough, she need bi-weekly fertilizer that should be mixed and stored in my tiny work refrigerator where my food used to be stored.

Now if she requests buckets full of green m&m's (don't miss the Glee reference here), I'm kicking her to the curb.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Twanda, I feel your pain. As you know I was pursuaded by our co-worker to have a high maintenance little plant too. She is named "the Duchess" and would you believe she was not content to reside in my office window, but has taken up residence on top of my desk nearer to me and my lamp. I suppose she feels I can be more attentive if she's in my face!!

    ReplyDelete