Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Birthday favorite from way back when

Mama’s Losin’ It
This entry was a prompt on the Mama's losin' it website.

5.) Comfort food at it’s finest. Share a family favorite recipe you loved as a child.

We called it Rainbow cake, but apparently the official name is Jello/Gelatin/Holiday Poke Cake. When I started looking for the recipe and pictures online, I also discovered that people consider it a christmas cake because of how it looks. Ha! I don't recall ever considering it for Christmas. It was our special birthday treat. It was the birthday cake to end all other birthday cakes! So special. Now that I think of it, I think I'll make my sister one for her August birthday as a surprise blast from the past.  (She doesn't read my blog so this publication of my secret is incredibly safe from her.)


So here's a picture of the cake. I'll post my own picture in August but for now I'm borrowing from a fellow blogger, ThinGuy (ThinGuy reported that he didn't eat even a crumb of this cake, which must be why he can title himself as such.) In case you were wondering, one slice of this baby is 220 calories. Maybe 10 calories less if you use light cool whip.

Picture courtesy of blogger, ThinGuy

Here's the Recipe from Kraft's website. Kraft provides suggestions on the jello favor depending on what cake you choose (white, yellow, chocolate, spice). Growing up we occasionally requested different flavors but red and green was our favorite.

Text Version Below
 'cause I'd hate for Kraft to remove the recipe from the web


Ingredients:
2 baked 9-inch round white cake layers, cooled
2 cups  boiling water, divided
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
1 pkg.  (3 oz.) JELL-O Lime Flavor Gelatin
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed


Instructions:


PLACE cakes, top-sides up, in clean 9-inch round pans; pierce with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
ADD 1 cup boiling water to each flavor dry gelatin mix in separate small bowls; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Pour red gelatin over 1 cake and lime gelatin over remaining cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.
DIP bottoms of cake pans in warm water 10 sec.; unmold. Fill and frost cake layers with COOL WHIP. Refrigerate 1 hour. 

5 comments:

  1. That looks cool. I'll have to try that ( with a scratch cake of couse). lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet my girls would love this cake! My waistline sure wouldn't, but that's what Will Power is for, right? Thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that looks super yummy. I am going to have to borrow this one.

    This would be a super good cake to make in the summer.

    Just stopping by from Mama Kat's too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! Just stopped by from Mama Kat to say hi!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten about these! Thanks for the reminder;)

    ReplyDelete